Skip to main content

About this Show

The Five

News/Business. (2013) New.

NETWORK

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING
TV-MA

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v760

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 7, Bob 6, Angie 6, Obama 4, America 4, Cuba 3, Dallas 3, Nfl 3, Hos 3, Geico 2, Mullahs 2, Fbi 2, Allan 2, Bret Baier 2, Robert Gibbs 2, Dana 2, Eric 2, China 2, New York 2, Ethic 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The Five    News/Business.  (2013) New.  

    December 3, 2013
    2:00 - 3:01pm PST  

2:00pm
stop and say, let's first account for where that money's going before we add on to it? i'm not against fixing our roads and bridges. what i'm against is adding insult to injury, assuming we haven't even raised the money to try. hello, everyone. i'm andrea tantaros, along with bob beckel, this is "the five." the first obama care enrollment deadline is less than three weeks away and the president is trying to regain control of the debate. today at the white house, he went on the offensive. >> you got good ideas? bring them to me. let's go. but we're not repealing it as long as i'm president. i'm going to need some help in spreading the word. i'm going to need some help in spreading the word. i need you to spread the word about the law, about its
2:01pm
benefits, about its protections, about how folks can sign up. tell your friends, tell your family. do not let the initial problems with the website discourage you. >> but the president's usual allies may not be getting the message. here's former obama press secretary robert gibbs calling for heads to roll. >> it will be inexplicable if somebody involved in the creation of the website doesn't get fired or a group of people don't get fired. there aren't really any good excuses for not firing people. the private sector velocity should also include the velocity of moving somebody's framed pictures out of their office and into a new job. >> and jon stewart is still having some fun with the failed rollout of healthcare.gov. >> an update on healthcare.gov, the beleaguered obama care website that was supposed to provide an online marketplace for health insurance but instead the website records you having sex and mails it to your parents with the title "christmas
2:02pm
surprise." why does it do that? >> all right. this audience couldn't hear it, but we had a debate during that sound bite over robert gibbs' classes. >> i like it. >> you like it, bob doesn't like them. >> no, looks like he's 1954 driving a chevy impala. >> retro, i like it. >> you do? >> yeah. >> well, again, you're from -- where? >> wyoming. the glasses are the least of the white house's worries. you heard the president today address the nation. they're launching this new push. >> right. >> three week, it sounded like a new campaign. right? there's a call to action. a political point about not repealing it. he bashed republicans. it was campaign number two. >> he's no longer a president. he's the ceo of a crisis management firm. and this is his disaster, and he's trying to navigate it through, yet he's asking us to come to him to help him. but it's true, it is an offensive. because it's offensive.
2:03pm
this whole operation has been. they can define it as a success because in government failure is a success because failure creates more work for those to fix the failure. therefore, as long as the governme government's banned, this will be a success. there's no security on this website whatsoever. that's the most important thing when trying to deal with a web transaction. that's like building disneyland and forgetting to build the fence. >> or the seats on the roller kosar right. >> no, that's fine. >> the next three weeks the president will have his liberal all-star strike team, a strike team. and he wants liberals in congress to speak every single day about health care reform. and they've launched this new site that looks a lot like saks fifth avenue, apply, shop, buy, right before christmas? i mean, could this be a worst time for them to reboot or rebrand or whatever the heck they're trying to do? >> in a new poll, the president is under 40% approval on nine
2:04pm
out of ten issues. unless he's in more trouble about the left than we know, maybe their internal polling says that they're in such dire straits with the people on the left, he has to do a three-week partisan poush at the time when he's at the lowest approval rating. he needs people to help spread the word? we've been drowning in words, smothered with words. we need less talkie, more action from the white house. >> more talkie, more action. >> it's on all the time. they talk constantly and they're not able to -- one other point before bob and eric take it into the deepness, he is so exceedingly political that i think that all of those numbers are actually going to continue to go down. i do not think that all of a sudden because he does a youth summit about healthcare.gov that his approval ratings are going to go up.
2:05pm
people realize the underpinnings of obama care are the bigger problem, not just the website, it's everything else that was promised and taken away from the american people. four years of planning that they knew about, they're so political, they're so worried about his candidacy, that he can't even get the policy right. >> three weeks to get what they couldn't get right in three years? and i took this speech as just a political speech to the democrats. i mean, that's who he was speaking to, right? >> how about a couple of facts for the factually challenged liberals tuesday edition. two big facts came out today. liberals in initial. maybe some at this table. number one, the irs found out today, the department of treasury came out and said -- who oversees the irs, came out and said, we have no way of knowing if people will commit fraud on their 1040 when they say they deserve a tax credit for obama care. so you can go ahead and put it on your 1040 and say i deserve a credit, i'm going to take taxes off right here and they have no
2:06pm
way of checking it. their computers don't do it. also, once they find out you've done something wrong, they have no teeth to penalize you. they can only say don't do that any more. that's the first fact that came out today. the other one in "the new york times" today said that the mouse is now offering incentives, additional incentives to the insurance companies, incentives we didn't know about before, but get this, to the tune of $1 trillion. >> right. >> $1 trillion in insurance company bailouts are going to go to the insurance companies behind the back, that's taxpayer money. here it is again. another lie. another president obama you can keep your insurance company and you can keep your plan, you can't keep your doctor and now no more bailouts. remember when he said no more bailouts? this is a massive trillion dollar bailout. >> he said it wouldn't add a dollar to the deficit. the insurance companies knew they would get this. bob, that's why i don't buy when anyone says it will collapse on its own weight, there will be a death spiral. no there won't, because they'll continue to pump money to
2:07pm
support it. >> there was a tragic train wreck in new york and the conductor -- the driver lost his insurance because of obama care. and so i think, frankly, that there's a lot of things happening in america today that the problems over obama care. the weather, i mean, everything, it's going terrible. >> are you kidding me? >> the fact of the matter is that the thing is starting to work better and better. why go to the democrats with the proposal? the democrats have to run on it. they know they can't run against it. they voted for the thing. if this earpiece tweets one more time -- so they can't go up there and try to get around it. so they have to run on it. >> what about the bailout for the insurance companies? >> i would bail the insurance companies out if they were drowning in -- >> no, no, that was from the white house, white house offered insen inincenti inincentives. >> they get rid of the public option. that's one of the things they
2:08pm
demanded. >> the white house is offering a bailout. >> i understand that, which i don't think they should be doing. i don't think the insurance companies should be bailed out for anything. they don't pay people, when people sue them -- >> you're trashing the insurance companies. >> i continue to trash them. >> now the white house wants hand over a trillion dollars. >> you agreed with robert gibbs, bob, you said somebody should be fired for this. >> absolutely. >> there's a new gallup poll. the more people learn about obama care, the more they can't stand it. if they're more familiar with it, yeah, they disapprove of it. so it looks like, i don't know, maybe in an uninformed stupid people like it and ignorance is bliss. >> you know what it is? it's like a lot of things in life, the more you become aware of something, you the more you hate it. like martin bashir and truffle oil. people didn't need this and they didn't need it from the government. when people want something, the market usually reacts. this is probably the bigger point if you know the free
2:09pm
market is doing something better than the government, yet you still ignore that, that means that your ideology is deadly. if you look at the soviet union and china, millions died before they admitted that their ideology was deadly. our country is running in the opposite direction. >> i'm sorry. >> no, i'm just saying why do you continue doing something destructive when you know the private sector can do it better? it's because you think in your hearts that private is evil even though they're superior. it's like a team sport. like when you look at your rival and you hate your rival and you hate them more because they're better. and that's the poison, that's the toxic poison in this whole thing is that people hate something because it's a team sport. they can't admit they're wrong. both democrats and republicans, everybody agreed that the insurance company's health care was terrible in the country, the delivery of insurance. >> no. >> everybody wanted to fix it. >> what do you mean?
2:10pm
>> health care. >> not health care, i'm talking about insurance. i said insurance. >> no, you didn't. you said health care. >> i'm glad you corrected me. premiums were too high, they weren't getting what they thought they'd get out of the plans. the cost of health care was going up and everybody says, that's the good old days. >> because it's still going up. >> it made it look like the good old days. >> they sold it. obama care was going to fix all those things you just pointed out. >> can i remind you that the mandate was a republican plan. >> health care costs are still skyrocketing. health insurance rates are going up as well, just as fast as they were before. >> 50 years they've been going up. the insurance companies have been gouging people from the very beginning. their profit margins remain extremely low. that's true. take a look. >> dana, the timeline doesn't add up. the push by the white house to rebrand and reboot, is saying if you apply by december 23rd,
2:11pm
you'll be good to go come january 1st. i don't see how that works out. we hear that the insurance companies aren't getting the data that's accurate. there's going to be a lot of mistakes. how do they figure that people will get signed up in seven days between christmas and new year's? >> when everybody's working at their highest productive rate? >> exactly. >> they can't. i don't actually know what they're going to do. and the president says, don't just criticize, come to me with your ideas. you're the one with all the brilliant people on your team. you tell us, mr. president, what would you recommend? he has the best and brightest all around him. >> we're just idiots. what do the republicans say, i'm evil. don't ask me for my opinion, mr. president, you tell me what you would do in order to make sure that it actually starts to work not my responsibility. >> it's a trap. it's a democrat trap and a president obama's trap saying give us an idea. you give us an alternative. we don't have to. >> what is the trap about asking
2:12pm
the republicans to upload a plan? >> let obama change a system with whether you liked it or not was working a lot better than it is working now. >> here's something you can do. >> if you need a hip replacement, you'll get it in the next three or four months in the private world right now. under obama care, who knows? if you look at england -- >> who knows? >> here's something. >> it is not -- i wish it were, but it's not a single payer plan. don't say it is. it is still being run by the free market. >> what if the republicans came forward and said, i have an idea, mr. president, why don't you repeal the corporate welfare part of this bill, see what he would say about that. that's actually smart. then you put it on him to say, no, i'm not going to repair the corporate welfare part of this bill, because if you do, obama care as designed is going to fail. >> well, the problem is -- >> how about that? how about them apples, bob?
2:13pm
>> he hasn't taken any of it -- >> for medicare, there's an idea. >> it's about blaming somebody. >> it still hasn't signed up. >> that's got me worried. he goes to that site to sign up, it damn well better work. somebody better be under the computer with things like this. >> he won't be doing it live and he still has his own doctor. lucky him. this 11-year-old was told by government officials that she can't sell mistletoe to raise funds for her braces. instead she's advised to beg for money. you'll hear directly from this inspirational young girl up next. and a houston school district apologizing after an administrator tells girls to stop dressing like hos. did she cross the line? >> like what? >> hos, bob, hobags. ♪ everyone's a kid at christmastime ♪
2:14pm
[ male announcer ] imagine this cute blob is metamucil. and this par is the inside of your body. see the special psyllium fiber in metamucil actually gels to trap some carbs to help maintain heahy blood sugar levels. metamucil. 3 amazing benefits in 1 super fiber. and our giant idaho potato truck is still missing. so my dog and i we're going to go find it. it's out there somewhere spreading the good word about idaho potatoes
2:15pm
and raising money for meals on wheels. but we'd really like our truck back, so if you see it, let us know, would you? thanks. what? to help secure retirements and protect financial futures. to help communities recover and rebuild. for companies going from garage to global. on the ground, in the air, even into space. we repaid every dollar america lent us. and gave america back a profit. we're here to keep our promises. to help you realize a better tomorrow. from the families of aig, happy holidays.
2:16pm
2:17pm
2:18pm
♪ who do you need ♪ who do you love >> welcome back, everybody. american culture is in decline. free fall. free fall perhaps. tough to argue with that especially when you hear these two stories. first up, little madison, just trying to help her family pay for braces. >> i was selling my mistletoe downtown next to skidmore fountain for my braces. then a park patrol officer approached us and he said that we could not sell mistletoe within 250 feet of the park. we asked him about the people next to us begging for money, and he said that that's okay for them to beg. >> so a liberal progressive land, there's not only a war on christmas, they've extended it to a war on work ethic, too.
2:19pm
bob, those braces she had on her teeth, she was trying to help her family pay for them. the ranger said, no, you can't sell mistletoe in the park without a permit. >> why don't you go to the park and try to sell mistletoe to get breast implants? first of all, i think orthodontists are a bunch of scams anyway. when i was a kid, nobody used those damn thing, number one. number two, everybody could go and sell things in a public place, where is it going to stop in i think they're exactly right to throw her out. she doesn't need the damn things. >> you just equated braces with breast implants? >> close. >> i guess if she has one, she doesn't need the other. if i were her, why doesn't she run around -- then no one will be looking at her teeth. >> i got it, i got it. >> where is it going? >> that's disgust can. >> why didn't she just say the mistletoe is weed? i mean, people are talking about pot. she should say free marijuana or maybe put a condom in the bag, then she's a kid who cares. maybe they like that. >> you get me a little closer to the park.
2:20pm
>> can we just hear when she asked about some people begging next to her, she asked the park ranger, listen to what happened. >> what is it about? it is about people being able to beg but i can't raise money, work hard, have a good work ethic, but they can beg? >> your thoughts? >> i love her. i love how she's put together, she's got her arguments, she's solid, she's got great instincts. and i hope that -- well, when i heard it, that a lot of donations poured in so she can get her braces. but we can use a lot more young girls like that that willing to do what it takes to help their families out and, you know, it's not easy to go out and sell something, especially when you're 11. she should try to sell like -- >> i don't want to beg for it, i prefer to work for it. >> she should try to sell snowy owl. >> what's that? >> an endangered species. see what happens then. >> put her picture up again?
2:21pm
what i find amazing about this young girl -- no, the other picture, moron. never mind. >> that just crossed us for the people who -- >> yeah, you guys. >> your thoughts? >> my thoughts are, she should be arrested. mistletoe leads to kissing, which can lead to sexually transmitted diseases. >> that's why the condom in a bag. >> a public health concern. she should be arrested. and it disgusts me -- >> she's a smart kid. >> i got to be honest with you, she's an adorable young lady. very stand-up wonderful person who is just trying to work hard. >> by the way, a great name. a great name. madison root is an awesome name. >> how large she is compared to the trees, that's all i wanted to say. >> we're joking about this, but isn't this the perfect metaphor for the government putting people out of business? this is happening all across
2:22pm
america. she's just one of the younger recipients. >> american culture in free fall part two where high school girls are dressing so provocatively administrators had to tell them to tone it down, ladies, but this administrator, did she take it too far? school officer suggested that girls stop dressing like, quote, hos. some parents weren't happy about that. >> it is not appropriate. >> you don't know what kind of homes half of these girls are coming from or any of these kids are coming from. for you to make a statement like that, you don't know their living conditions and you don't know their parents financial state. that may be the only thing that they have to wear. and for you to say something like that, that's inconsiderate. >> your thoughts? >> okay. maybe the girls were dressed inappropriately, but i don't think the administrator should use the term "hos t ". she's trying to get girls to dress like ladies, then she should speak like a lady and not
2:23pm
use that term. she apologized. dress codes are dress codes. i don't buy that argument, maybe they don't have enough money to buy, what, a couple more inches on their skirt or the rest of their half baby t-shirts or whatever? she should apologize for using the term "ho." >> people don't care about meaning any more. all they care about are the words. so in a sense, all words these days are fighting words. the woman meant well, but she's at the mercy of others deciding what the meaning is for what she says. and it doesn't just happen here ppt it happens everywhere, it goes back to alec baldwin who was not being homophobic, he was screaming at a photographer. it doesn't matter because you're at the mercy of people deciding what you need and that's scary. >> i know what i need, go ahead. >> i think when the woman was saying you don't know what kind of hopes they come from, you don't know their situation at home, i think what the administrator was doing is you don't necessarily want the teacher to be the parent or the
2:24pm
schools in order to be the parent, but maybe these girls needed to hear this from somebody in authority to say, you know what? i care about you, i want you to be successful. you won't be successful if you continue to dress like that, you will not make it, you will not get a job. so she used the word "ho county . i heard she apologized it. >> have you driven by a high school lately? they do look like a bunch of hos. >> bob, not many people drive by high schools. inappropriate. >> in cold weather those girls are going to freeze. there are more belly buttons at these high schools than you see in swimming class. >> coming up, they're planning minimum wage strikes across the country. interns at mother jones are reportedly being told to sign up for food stamps. apparently mother jones wants her kids to suck at the government's teat, not hers. that's next on "the five." check out foxnews.com/the five
2:25pm
♪ i want to make him stay up all night ♪ twins. i didn't see them cing. i need a new investment pn. i need to rethink the core of my portfolio. ishares core etfs are low-cost funds. so you can keep more of what you earn. get started with the new ishares core builder. design a personalized plan that can help you achieve your investment goals. ishares by blackrock. call 1-800-ishares for a prospectus, which includes investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. read and consider it carefully before investing. risk includes possible loss of principal.
2:26pm
2:27pm
i don't miss out... you sat out most of our game yesterday! asthma doesn't affect my job... you were out sick last week. my asthma doesn't bother my family... you coughed all through our date night! i hardly use my rescue inhaler at all. what did you say? how about - every day?
2:28pm
coping with asthma isn't controlling it. test your level of control at asthma.com, then talk to your doctor. there may be more you could do for your asthma. peoi go to angie's listt for all kinds of reasons. to gauge whether or not the projects will be done in a timely fashion and within budget. angie's list members can tell you which provider is the best in town. you'll find reviews on everything from home repair to healthcare. now that we're expecting, i like the fact i can go onto angie's list and look for pediatricians. the service providers that i've found on angie's list actually have blown me away. find out why more than two million members count on angie's list. angie's list -- reviews you can trust. [ female announcer ] some people like to pretend a flood could never happen to them. and that their homeowners insurance protects them. [ thunder crashes ] it doesn't. stop pretending. only flood insurance covers floods.
2:29pm
♪ visit floodsmart.gov/pretend to learn your risk. ♪ the battle over the minimum wage is heating up as fast food workers plan to walk off the job this thursday in what could be the largest turnout yet in the quest for higher pay. strike organizers are demanding a $15 an hour pay for restaurant workers. is this fair or could a raise in sal ris cause more harm than good? let's start with you. when it comes to low wage menial workers, does a push like this actually help or hurt them in the long run? >> there's a great study this year. walmart who wanted to go into the city of d.c. and they'd never had stores there, they
2:30pm
planned up a six stores, a couple thousand employees, the city decided they'd tack on a minimum wage for walmart alone, calling any other big box retailer but put them at a disadvantage to other retailers. walmart said, forgets it. we'll scrap the plans for six stores, thousands of employees, they start to pull out and the d.c. city council to their credit said, hold on, we're not going to do that. when you raise a minimum wage, you tell businesses what they have to pay, they may choose to go somewhere else. i find it interesting that walmart keeps getting the brunt of the leftist ire for taking other small companies out of the game yet jeff bezos at amazon tells smaller publishers either get leaner, get bigger or get out of the way, but he's held up as a hero. online. this is all about the unions. walmart pushes back at the unions, no one else does, so walmart gets beat up by the left. >> the national restaurant association reports that really a small percentage of fast food jobs that pay the wage.
2:31pm
they're not meant to be your lifelong job. do you think that this is smart or is it an seiu push to get more members? >> first of all, i don't think you can live on what they make at mcdonald's. everyone can agree that the university of chicago is the leading economic business school in the country. it's very conservative. after doing an analysis their bottom line was that there is no, zero, impact on the increase in minimum wage on job growth. same with bloomberg, same with the economists. people reaching the argument that eric raises, you increase these jobs and these -- >> but would you submit that it actually -- >> it doesn't cost jobs. >> so it saves jobs? >> it actually turns out in the economist -- >> what should the minimum wage be? >> for me personally, 15, 20 bucks. >> why not 50 if it doesn't affect job growth. you tell me that raising the
2:32pm
minimum raise to 100 bucks an hour -- >> what's wrong with raising the minimum wage? >> i don't know what study yir reading. >> bloomberg economists and the university of chicago are wrong. and you're correct. >> i'm not taking your word for it. >> congress the last time they raised the minimum wage they raised it 2.6% in 2009 at a time when people weren't getting wage increases. six months after that 600,000 teenagers who are disproportionately affected by this disappeared, those jobs were gone in six months. when you raise the price of anything, bob, people are going to take less of it. it doesn't come from thin air, the money that they're using to pay for these ere will either b price for something, like in the restaurant, they raise the minimum wage, what did my parents do? they increased the price of coffee. people went crazy. at these restaurants most people make more than minimum wage anyway. >> what do you thing of the boycott of the fast food -- not the boycott, the strike. don't you think some liberals
2:33pm
will be glad about that because they don't want us to eat trans fats? >> i'm glad you said strike and not boycott because boycott is sexist. i have to say this, eric's right. if you discount any kind of business effects, profits, hiring or any other kind of business cost, there is no essential limit to the minimum wage. you can say minimum wage can be $1,000 an hour because the left doesn't have any response to that because they choose to ignore the variables that make a business successful. they've never had to make a business successful because of the bureaucrats. look at this as a temporary wrong in life. you are two sisters, one is 20 and works at mcdob ald always. it's about moving up, getting -- learning skills at a particular rung and move up. they're less likely to move up and learn skills.
2:34pm
that's a fact, that's common sense that doesn't equate -- >> that comment says dr. ben carson, one of our favorites here on "the five" he tweeted something along those lines. se says it's important for those in poverty to work hard even with minimum wages they gain knowledge and skill that will allow for upward progress. >> how can you talk about a minimum wage nationally any way? it's new york city, like sparks, nevada, the cost of living is different everywhere, but it will never be enough. >> not to the government, remember, we all have the same health benefits, right, a one size fits all for health care, for business, but bob, i don't understand it, if you take money, someone's going to have to pay, the business owner or the consumer. >> it's a reasonable argument that eric make, i don't think you should raise it to the point -- >> who decides? >> but if you do have an increase in minimum wage, it says here --
2:35pm
>> who decides then, bob? should you be the one who decides in. >> no, the legislature should. they did in new jersey and the business said, oh, we're going to lose our jobs, nobody lost their jobs. >> how about the study that bob cited. >> studies. >> that leading economists agreed that the benefits of raising and indexing the minimum wage outweigh the cost. this they didn't actually come to the same conclusion. >> we got to go. stop him from running in the super bowl in we've got the controversy directly ahead.
2:36pm
2:37pm
there are seniors who have left hundreds of dollars of savgs on the table by not choosing the rit medicare d plan. no one could hav left this much money here. whoo-hoo-hoo! yet many seniors whoompare medicare d plans realize they can save hundreds of dollars. cvs/pharmacy wants to help you save on medicare expenses. talk to your cvs prmacist, ll, or go to cvs.com/compare to get your free, personalized pl comparison today. call, go online, or visit your local store today.
2:38pm
2:39pm
so here's an ad you won't be
2:40pm
seeing during the upcoming super bowl. >> my family's safety is my highest priority. i am responsible for their protection. and no one has the right to tell me how to defend it. so i've chosen the most effective tool for the job. >> he's using a baby to protect his family? this doesn't make sense. actually, that's from daniel defense which makes guns. it was rejected because the nfl's policy bans ads featuring firearms. the problem is in that ad, there are no guns except for one in the logo which the company offered to get rid of. still no go because this is really not about guns at all but the idea of guns. and how distasteful they are, not to you, but to people in the
2:41pm
media, the ad execs, tv producers, all who wouldn't know a real gun if it poked them in the butt. why all the violence and the booze commercials trying to propagandize the sport just the idea of mentioning defense makes them jittery in their snotty intolerance. the enlightened media over you. why it's okay for bob costas to lecture you but a gun company can't buy time to talk protection. why does self-defense scare these nfl execs? well, someone becomes scared of an opposing idea when they know their own perspective is personal, not fact ral. statistics even from our own government dispute so many cliches about lawful gun ownership that it favors the gun owner. while the media can hate a certain right, what they really hate more is you, for being right. >> you know what's brilliant about this whole thing, andrea? you get great press if your ad
2:42pm
gets rejected. >> yes. >> and you don't pay the money. what's it like, $4 million for 30 second seconds? this ad is all over the place. >> he doesn't need the ad to run at the super bowl. if i were a different gun manufacturer, next year i'd already start making my ad so it can run all over the news network. the nfl, i understand they're under fire. they've got their guys trying to paint cleats and they've got the ravens talking obama care. a more feminized, softer nfl, why don't they put out the bigskin, bring out the nerf ball, play in a bouncy castle and change the name from dallas cowboys because cowboys use guns and the tabby cats and the patriots use guns, something less violent. it's absolutely ridiculous. but the nfl again, more pressure and they're catering to, as you point out, the elitist, media, people who don't even really love football. their fans probably have guns. >> the dallas cowgirls, the cheerleaders do a lot of this.
2:43pm
should that stop? >> no, but i sat in for larry king and they had the dallas cowboy cheer leaders. it was the original dallas cowboy cheer leaders. >> they were your age. >> they were. you talk about the free market, they have the right to keep these things the off the air. i wouldn't put the thing on, first of all, it's a lousily produced commercial. secondly, i think you're right. you can put your baby out front and it will catch a bullet? they have a right to do it and i'm glad they're doing it. >> they does have a point, eric, that it's not fox but nfl can choose anything they want, even if you disagree with it. >> right, correct. cars kill a lot of people, too, and there are car ads and drinking kills a lot of people and there will be a lot of alcohol ads but it's a free market, a free business they can pick and choose what advertisers they want to turn down. if they want to turn down $4 million bucks a minute, then i
2:44pm
guess i get it. it's a second amendment right. the commercial is not even about shooting, about protecting your family. i guarantee you there will be two or three security companies advertising during the super bowl. >> they always have the little alarm, someone's breaking in the house and the only thing that can really stop it because by the time a cop gets to your house, the crime's been committed. the only thing that stops that perp is a bullet in the head, but dana always says that during the break. >> about you. >> yes. football's pretty violent. kind of funny that they're against this very calm ad. >> i would be curious on the nfl's policy regarding movies that glorify guns. because you know that the big movies and the ones that are coming out in the spring are going to be advertising on the super bowl. >> right. >> i also thing that it is not enough, i don't believe, for these people to get their ad talked about on news programs because, even though we are good, like 2 or 3 million compared to tens of millions of
2:45pm
people who paid to make the ad. if the video games and the movies will be able to be advertised on the nfl, they should rethink this. >> did you hear about the disney film, all the people watching movies down in florida and all of a sudden it cut out from that and somebody spliced in a -- i won't say it. the producer told me not to use that line. >> a jets game here in new york and they're playing the bills they show people shooting at the buffaloes on the big screen. >> they're inconsistent. >> i'm going to throw my pen. >> you're angry. >> enraged, if you will. a secret deal was made ahead of the nuclear talks between the u.s. and iran that left these three americans who are being held by the mullahs out in the cold, these three americans. >> those three. >> okay. bob's outraged to tell you why, next on "the five." and now my journey
2:46pm
across the country has brought me to the lovely city of boston. cheers. and seeing as it's such a historic city, i'm sure they'll appreciate that geico's been saving people money for over 75 years. oh... dear, i've dropped my tea into the boston harbor. huhh... i guess this party's over. geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance. .
2:47pm
2:48pm
2:49pm
♪ hey yeah bark at the moon >> excuse me. thank you. a new report claims -- would you guys like to -- >> a picture of me bending over
2:50pm
picking up my pen. >> okay. good. fine. >> and i have plumber's butt on live television. >> now, if we can just get on to this after greg's butt, a new report said part of the recent nuke deal between the u.s. and iran involved the release of an iranian nuclear scientist who was arrested in california. what about three americans including a christian pastor and former fbi agent who are still being held by the mullahs? why haven't we heard about them and why were the not in the midst of negotiations. this is something i've talked about for some weeks. i just for the life of me cannot understand for a nuclear scientist why you couldn't get a pastor and former fbi agent and elderly person out. worse than that it wasn't raised. somebody better explain to me why they didn't bring it up. dana? >> well, diplomacy as you knowv department is never easy and not clearcut. there could be hopefully there is information behind the scenes
2:51pm
that we don't know about. they might be in danger that we don't know about so if they talk about it there could be even more problems. i try to give the administration a little pass on that. although the did say proactively they did not bring up the pastor in discussions which seems preposterous in they we are a loy loui allowing to go because he knows how to build a bomb. >> i think the administration actively avoids doing anything suggested by fox news. if we suggest anything about the pastor they say we're not doing it. i think we have to trick the white house. we have to applaud them for not doing something. i think it's great they didn't get the pastor. >> leave them there. >> we could do that an
2:52pm
experiment. >> reverse psychy. might work. >> nuclear scientist seems to me it's at least worth three draft choices. >> you may hate me for this. i'm a practice catholic christian who would love to see the release of this pass to. however, i think if you're going to negotiate with terrorists like iran, you keep it on the issues. you keep the financial pressure on them. let them come to the bargaining table with concrete options to reduce their nuclear weapons or weapons grade material and stop playing aaround with we're going to release your pastor you give us a scientist. >> should they have not at least raised the issue? every time we go to china we raise human rights. why not raise this guy's name. >> it's strange that they didn't. because when the president called the new leader of iran he actually brought up the pastor. to his credit, obama brought it up. but the fact he didn't follow up is mind boggling. if i'm the iranians i'm like are you really serious about getting him back?
2:53pm
it can't be that big of a deal. you mentioned him on the phone, okay. but you didn't bring him up in negotiations? maybe there is something that we don't know. but the time to really enact change in the iranians was in 2009 during the green revolution. if you really wanted to change the mentality of the iranians the time was then. now too late. >> these negotiations have been going on for well over a year. one more thing is up next. hi, i'm terry and i have diabetic nerve pain.
2:54pm
i worked a patrol unit for 17 years in the city of baltimore. when i first started experiencing the pain, it's, it's hard to describe because you have a numbness... but yet you have the pain like thousands of needles sticking in your foot. it was progressively getting worse, and at that point i knew i had to do something. when i went back to my healthcare professional... that's when she suggested the lyrica. once i started taking the lyrica, the pain started subsiding. [ male announcer ] it's known that diabetes damages rves. lyrica is fda approved to treat diabetic nerve pain. lyrica is not for everyone. it may cause serious allergic reactions or suicidal thoughts or actions. tell your doctor right away if you have these, new, or worsening depression, or unusual changes in mood or behavior. or swelling, trouble breathing, rash, hives, blisters,
2:55pm
changes in eyesight including blurry vision, muscle pain with fever, tired feeling, or skin sores from diabetes. common side effects are dizziness, sleepiness, weight gain and swelling of hands, legs and feet. don't drink alcohol while taking lyrica. don't drive or use machinery until you know how lyrica affects you. those who have had a drug or alcohol problem may be more likely to misuse lyrica. ask your doctor about lyrica today. it's specific treatment for diabetic nerve pain. to hear more of terry's story, visit lyrica.com.
2:56pm
2:57pm
it's time now for one more thing. eric bowling. >> so life imitating art. paul walker "fast and furious" fame died in a fiery car accident. art imitating light again, look what happened last night on "the wheel of fortune" can't make this stuff up. >> the fast and the furious. >> you've got it. yes, sir. nice going. look at you there. >> so in their defense that aired last night. "the wheel of fortune." pat sajak e-mailed or typed and said "that was sent out weeks ago so they couldn't pull it back." taped it a long time ago. >> taped it a long time ago. but kind of strange. >> harrison o'keen went down with an oil ship down the coast of nigeria down 100 feet and he lived for three days. here's a picture of his rescue.
2:58pm
>> [ inaudible ]. >> i'm sorry. still looking at the video. >> earth to bob. >> that's an amazing thing. as a diver myself 100 feet down there and he found an air pocket. everybody else died. congratulations. >> okay. dana -- >> look at the fish at 30 feet. what is with you? >> you learn something every day. you do. we talked about our americans that are being held in rauchbir. we should try to remember allan gross, a former usaid contractor jailed in cuba. today is the fourth anniversary. he's been held five years in cuba. and there is concern that the government has forgotten him, the state department reassured us today that they have not. his crime?
2:59pm
he was trying to provide internet access to people there. so the government in cuba was trying to suppress people from getting access to information. we should all remember allan gross on this day. >> greg. >> i want to wish a happy ninth anniversary to my wife elana. and i hope to god she did not watch today. because i'm going to be dead when i get home. >> why? she's already seen your butt cracks >> yes. but -- yes. but she's going to kill me. i will not be here tomorrow. >> elana, you could have done a lot better and he couldn't, okay? >> in honor of greg's anniversary check out this video of tippy the fainting squirrel. it's a little perplexing. watch this guy. can't stay on his feet. boom there he goes. it happened very quickly. tippy a couple moments later there he goes. >> that reminds me of when i was drinking. >> boom down goes tippy. >> it does look like -- they say
3:00pm
toxin or brain tumor. maybe he's just drunk. >> don't forget to set your dvr so you never miss an episode of "the five" "special report with bret baier up next." president obama says it's not perfect but promises his beleaguered health care reform program is not going away. this is "special report." >> good evening. i'm bret baier. president obama took another shot this afternoon at another relaunch of his massively troubled health care reform initiative. he says he'll keep at it as long as it takes. we have fox team coverage tonight. shannon breem has another trip to federal court for obama care. jim anchor with the big december countdown that has more to do with health insurance than the li

Terms of Use (31 Dec 2014)